Fully. Alive. Creative. Thinkers.
My mission as an art teacher can be easily summarized by four letters: FACT. These letters represent my goal to develop "FULLY ALIVE & CREATIVE THINKERS" through the use and production of art in the classroom. Not every child will grow up to one day be an artist, but every child can benefit from having had art class because participating in art will help each child grow up to be an active participant and open-minded thinker in a world that is constantly changing. The importance of art education, in my opinion, is not so much for turning out artists or art products but, rather, for building better people. Art essentially develops us both physically and mentally. Most importantly, art develops us spiritually through the act of creation. In art class, we work. As artists, we problem-solve. We take risks. We invent. We share with God in the creative process and give life to something new! In these ways, art enhances not only the academic arena but also promotes our growth and health as spiritual beings created in God's image and likeness.
THE BENEFITS OF ART
(10 REASONS WHY ART IN SCHOOL MAKES SENSE):
- Art broadens our horizons by helping each of us to see things in new and innovative ways.
- Art increases our clarity. Art sharpens our eyes by helping us to really look, to really see. In this way, art increases our awareness of the world around us.
- Art instills empathy by encouraging us to "step" into a picture and see something from another person's perspective. In this way, art increases our sensitivity and promotes healthy interpersonal relationships through increased understanding of the people around us and the people who have preceded us.
- Art gives us safe parameters through which to explore and discover new media, new techniques, and new concepts.
- Art taps into the creative part of our brains so that we can become the balanced and whole individuals whom God intended us to be, not merely rote learners or passive bystanders who watch life by the sidelines.
- Art inspires, motivates, and drives us to take an active part behind life's steering wheel.
- Art increases attentiveness. Through art, we maintain focus and stay present in the moment.
- Art builds confidence. Viewing art and making art encourages us to formulate our own opinions and make our own decisions.
- Art promotes flexibility and resilience. We learn through trial and error. We respond. We adapt. We grow.
- Art aids communication. Art allows us an alternate way in which to express our thoughts and feelings, especially when words fail us.